Who can apply?
• To be considered for promotion you need to be aged 16 or over – there is no age limit thereafter and is open to both male and female referees
• You must be prepared to referee in open age football
When does the promotion season start?
• The promotion season commences on 1st March and ends on the 28th February in the year following.
How do I take the first step from moving from a Level 7 to Level 6 referee?
• If you wish to become a Level 6 referee you must serve at least one season at Level 7 before being eligible for promotion.
• You need to inform your Referee Development Manager in writing of your intentions before 1st March prior to the following season
What happens after that?
• You will be invited to a full day Promotion Seminar in the close season where the full promotion process will be explained
• Following the seminar you then decide formally whether you wish to go ahead with your application – this will also include taking a referee examination to confirm your knowledge of the Laws of the Game.
How is promotion decided upon?
• Promotion is decided through assessments completed by WFA County Assessors, attendance at further training events, successful completion of a test on the Laws of the game and a satisfactory average club mark achieved in at least 20 matches of open age competitive football during the marking period. Other factors including administration and availability are also taken into account.
What if I want to continue on the promotion pathway the following season?
•The same criteria apply for promotion to Level 5 with an expected higher level of competency demonstrated within the assessment process. Your personal administration with acceptance of appointments and closing dates when you are not available also assume a much higher importance. You also need to complete 5 appointments as a neutral assistant referee in order to gain promotion.
Want to know more or have any questions?
Please contact: Referees Development Manager: Adam Watts by email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the office on 01905 827137