Representative team bow out in thriller


Worcestershire FA's Under 18 Representative side made the trip to Lancashire FA's fabulous facility in Leyland for a Round Three match in The FA County Youth Cup but were beaten just minutes from full-time, after holding a two goal half-time advantage.

FA County Youth Challenge Cup – Round 3

Lancashire U18’s 3 Worcestershire U18’s   2

   At The County Ground, Thurston Road, Leyland, Lancashire.

2nd December 2013

The excellent facilities and playing surface at the County ground enabled both teams to play some excellent football in what was a very competitive game.

Worcestershire started the game very brightly and for the first 10 minutes had the majority of the play without creating any clear chances. Lancashire then began to take the game to Worcestershire creating a couple of chances which were well defended by the visitors.

On 20 minutes Jack Williams for the home team got in behind the visitors defence and his excellent shot was tipped over the bar by Sam Hawker. From the resulting corner Lancashire continued to put pressure on the Worcestershire defence but were unable to get any reward for their efforts.

On 25minutes, against the run of play, Worcestershire were awarded a corner which was taken by Jack Brighton. This resulted in Kennedy Digie putting the visitors ahead with a powerful header into the back of the net. This goal lifted the visitors who continued to press the home defence and on 28 minutes had a goal disallowed for offside.

In the remaining period before half time Lancashire created a couple of chances which again were well defended by Worcestershire.

On 42 minutes Worcestershire doubled their lead when James Lemon converted a cross from Joss Riis. On the stroke of half time Worcestershire had a good chance to increase their lead even further but Dean Waldron put his effort just wide of the home team’s goal.

Half Time: Lancashire FA   0   Worcestershire FA   2

At the start of the 2nd half Lancashire made two substitutions including the very pacey Cory Bent. Cory caused numerous problems for the visitors and on 54 minutes produced an excellent cross for Jack Williams to score for the home team.

On the hour mark Worcestershire had to replace Thomas Fishwick following an injury.

Lancashire continued to take the game to the visitors and were rewarded on 71 minutes when, following good work down their right wing. Jack Williams was able to convert a cross scoring his and the team’s 2nd goal to bring the scores level.

With Lancashire know in the ascendancy, Worcestershire’s chances were limited. The home side continued to put pressure on the visitor’s defence who stood firm clearing one effort off the goal line.

On 85 minutes, Worcestershire made good progress down their right wing but were guilty of losing possession. From this the home team delivered a long ball down the centre of the field which was not dealt with by the visitor’s defence. This allowed Jack Williams to run on and complete his hat trick and put Lancashire in the lead for the first time.

Worcestershire were unable to respond to this and Lancashire now move on to the 4th round of the competition.

Credit should go to both teams for producing a highly entertaining game played in good spirit, a good advert for county youth football.

Full Time- Lancashire FA    3      Worcestershire FA    2

Worcestershire: Sam Hawker, Jack Brighton, Jamie Smith, Luke Seldon, Thomas Fishwick (Max Crisp 57mins), Dean Waldron, Aston Gunter, Kennedy Digie, James Lemon, Josh Riis(Luke Molloy 72mins), Joao Da Sousa(Macauley Finch 88mins).


Until we have your approval, we must limit some functionality - More details

Watch England v Italy at Wembley on Tuesday 27 March